Yikes! I have been invaded by Aliens!
These cute cupcakes were the wants and needs by a 4 year old neighborhood boy. Sooooo.....off to the store I went to get a few ingredients so these "neon green" Aliens could find a new home!
Try them and put a smile on someone!
Now let's bake some cupcakes!
Alien Invasion Cupcakes
- 24 Chocolate Cupcakes baked in silver foil liners (Reynolds) click HERE for recipe.
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) vanilla frosting (not the whipped kind)
- Neon green food coloring (McCormick)
- 12 Marshmallows
- 24 plain doughnut holes
- 48 black candy-coated chocolate-covered sunflower seeds (Sunny Seed Drops)
- Black licorice laces, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 24 plastic take-out containers (available at baking or party supply stores)
- Tint the vanilla frosting green with the food coloring. Using clean scissors, cut the marshmallows in half crosswise.
- Spread a thin layer of the green frosting on top of the cupcakes and place 1 marshmallow half in the center of each cupcake, cut side down. Add a dot of frosting to the marshmallow and place a doughnut hole on top of the marshmallow, pressing it into the frosting. Spread frosting over the marshmallow and the doughnut holes to fill in the gaps and smooth.
- Place the assembled cupcakes on a cookie sheet in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes or until slightly frozen.
- Working in batches,spoon 3/4 cup of the remaining frosting into a 1-cup glass measuring cup. Microwave for 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring frequently, until the frosting is the consistency of lightly whipped cream.
- Holding a chilled cupcake by its foil liner, dip it into the frosting right up to the edge of the liner. Hold the cupcake above the surface and allow the excess frosting to drip off. Carefully turn the cupcake right side up and place on a cookie sheet. Repeat with the remaining cupcakes. When the frosting becomes too thick, reheat in the microwave for several seconds, stirring well. Add more frosting and reheat as necessary.
- Press the black sunflower seeds onto the head area, pointed ends in, to make the eyes. aUsing a round toothpick, make 2 holes in the top of each alien and insert a piece of licorice in each hole for the antennae.
- Carefully place each cupcake into a plastic container and top with the lid.
Enjoy your Alien Invasion!!