Thursday, December 9, 2010

Applesauce Cinnamon Ornaments

I thought I would do a little tutorial with on these Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments.

It has been a while since I have made these. I use to make them with the day care children, which has been a few years ago.  Since my son is 21, I was missing the things we use to do. I guess that would explain the candy theme on the kitchen Christmas Tree and the tablescape.
      So why don't you take this journey with me and if you can find some free time in your busy schedule, make some of these wonderful, smell good ornaments.  They also make nice gift tags on the presents!


Recipe:
1 cup cinnamon
1 tbsp. ground cloves
1 tbsp. nutmeg
1 tbsp. allspice
1 tbsp ginger
3/4 c. applesauce

In medium bowl, combine cinnamon, cloves, allspice,
ginger & nutmeg. Add applesauce, stir to combine.
Work mixture with hands 2 to 3 minutes or until dough
is smooth and ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness.
Cut dough with cookie cutters.
Using straw or pencil, make small hole in top of ornament.
Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 150 degrees for 1 hour
Remove from the cookie sheet and bake on the oven
racks for another hour and a half.

Use these ornaments to decorate gifts, hang on tree, etc. 


A picture of the ingredients that I used.  I may have used just a tad bit more of the spices than the recipe called for.

I grind my own cloves, all spice, and nutmeg.


 This is what the mixture looks like when you add all of the ingredients together.




Place your dough ball on the counter that has been sprinkled with cinnamon and roll out your dough. You don't want it to be to moist, just a little on the dry side


Don't roll your dough out to think or when the ornaments dry they will be very fragile and break.


Use your favorite cookie cutter and cut out your ornaments.  Make sure you place a hole in your ornament so you can hang it.  You may also make a wire in a U shape and push it in the top of your ornament.


Place your ornaments on a cookie rack or something that they  can sit and dry on. It will take several days before they will be ready to use.


You can also take the left over dough and roll them into balls and place a U wire in the top of them.


While you are making your ornaments, pour yourself and drink, play some Christmas music and enjoy yourself. I choose to have a pot of tea.  It was nice and warm since the night I did these it was ReALLy CoLd outside!



I like my tea with a little cream and sugar! I also just adore the tea cozy my Sister-in-Law made for me. I wonder if I can get her to make a few more to match my tablescapes!


I decorated my ornaments with a royal icing that I made.
Royal Frosting

2 1/2 T. meringue powder or powdered egg white
4 1/2 C. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
3/4 C. water
1/2 tsp. Almond Flavoring
1/2 tsp. Butter Flavoring

Beat the above for about 10 minutes.  ( I have cut the
frosting recipe in half from the original.  This should
still frost 2 batches of the cookies.)

Color as desired.  Place in squeeze bottles or pastry bags to decorate!
Thank you Jacqueline from over at Purple Chocolate Home. Such an easy recipe and tastes and works well with cookies and anything else you would like to decorate!  I added the Almond and Butter Flavoring to the frosting to step it up a notch.



I hope you get a chance to make these and thank you for strolling down memory lane with me!


 

Best Wishes,     Andrea

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I can imagine how wonderful the smell is from them. I've never made any myself. This makes me want to try.

Anita Diaz said...

I bet those have the best aroma!! I have not made them either, but my daughter made some at school. I have to try--they look great!! Thanks so much for stopping by:-) I hope you are enjoying the season!!