Remember, we eat with our eyes as much as with our bellies.
Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast
For The French Toast:
- 8 slices (1/2 inch thick) of good bread (I used the homemade Old-Fashion Oat Bread)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 8oz. tub Mascarpone cheese
- 3 to 4 Tbs. dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp. (good, Bourbon) vanilla
- dash of cinnamon
- Blend the Mascarpone with the brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. It will turn an amazing buff color, and will smell amazing, too.Slice the bread. Next, make little Mascarpone sandwiches by spreading a generous amount of the filling between slices. Beat the eggs, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together (I do this in a baking dish). Place the sandwiches in the egg mixture, and press down lightly so the spongy bread can drink in the yellow bliss. Turn the sandwiches over, and repeat. Heat some butter (enough to cover the bottom) in a skillet over medium-high heat. When the butter starts talking to you (bubbling, sputtering), place the sopping sandwiches in the skillet. Cook for about 2 minutes on either side until golden brown. Add the French toast to a fresh, buttered baking dish. Pop them in the oven for about 5 minutes (until they cook through).
While the toast is in the oven, I melted some dark chocolate in the microwave until the drizzle stage. The oven timer dings. I take the toast out. One French toast sandwich on a plate (I heat the plates in the microwave for 2 minutes).Sprinkle some powder sugar over the toast. Drizzle over a little chocolate sauce, and garnish with a whole, fresh strawberry and a dollop of the mascarpone mixture. Topped it off with freshly grated nutmeg. Devour!
Another version of the French Toast : Mascarone Stuffed French Toast with a Banana Pecan Butter Sauce
- 8 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 3 tablespoons orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 6 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 bananas, sliced (I didn't have any bananas)
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped (I had walnuts)
- Slice the bananas in 1" thick slices diagonally
- Toast the pecans in a large skillet to bring out the nutty flavor. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in the same skillet over medium to medium-high heat
- Stir in orange juice, brown sugar, vanilla and salt.
- Cook and stir for 1-1/2 minutes. Add bananas and pecans and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce is smooth and slightly reduced.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
So hopefully for your next brunch you will try these absolute delights!
Until the next time,